Working in the UK


As an EEA or Swiss national, you have freedom of movement in the UK.  As such, you have freedom to take employment and be self-employed in the UK.  You do not have to be working full-time in order for you to be classified as a worker.

If you are not working, you can be seen as exercising your Treaty Rights if you are self-sufficient and able to support yourselves and your dependants.  To be self-sufficient, there is no criteria as to how much income you should have but must prove it is enough for you and your dependants to live on.

Please note that the Worker Registration Scheme closed on 30 April 2011.  Therefore, if you are a national of the Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Slovakia or Slovenia, you do not need to obtain permission any longer before you can work in the UK.


If you want to find out whether you are indeed exercising your Treaty Rights or if you are currently seeking employment and do not know where you stand, get your free initial assessment now!