Right of residence in the UK


As a national of the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland, you can enter the UK for an initial period of 3 months.  After this, you must be exercising your Treaty rights to remain resident in the UK.  You are said to be exercising Treaty rights if you are:

  • Employed or self-employed; or
  • Studying; or
  • Economically self- sufficient (meaning that you have sufficient funds to support you without requiring public funds); or
  • Jobseeker; or
  • Retired; or
  • Someone who has had to cease working in the UK owing to permanent incapacity.
To confirm your right to reside in the UK, we suggest that you apply for a Registration Certificate.  It is particularly beneficial if you want to support an application for a Residence Card by any of your family members who are not EEA nationals.
All EEA nationals and Swiss nationals can apply for a Registration Certificate at any time.  After 5 years of continuous residence in the UK, you may be eligible to apply for Permanent Residence.
To find out more, email, telephone or even Skype us!  We are waiting to hear from you.