Bulgarian and Romanian nationals


Bulgarian and Romanian nationals may need to apply for permission before they can work in the UK.

If you want to work as an employee in the UK, you will normally need permission before you start work.  You may need to obtain an accession worker card, or you can work under the Seasonal Agricultural Workers Scheme (SAWS) or the Sectors Based Scheme.

You do not need permission to work in a self-employed capacity but you can apply for a registration certificate to confirm your right to work as a self-employed person in the UK, if you want to do this.

When you have been working legally as an employee in the UK continuously for 12 months, you will have full rights of free movement and will no longer need permission to work.  You can then get a registration certificate confirming your right to live and work in the UK.

If you are a student in the UK, you can take employment for up to 20 hours a week during term time and full-time during vacation periods from your course, but you have to first obtain a registration certificate confirming that you are a student.


To find out more, contact us now for your free initial Consultation with our specialist Immigration Consultants.