Bringing family to the UK


If you are a European national (EEA) coming to the UK, you can bring your non EEA national family member/s with you.  The family member/s can apply for an EEA Family Permit which is a form of ‘entry clearance’ to the UK.

Please note that the non-EEA family member must be travelling to the UK:

  • With the EEA national; or
  • To join the EEA national here.


If you, as the EEA national, are outside the UK and are not travelling with the non-EEA family member/s, they must instead apply for a visa (if they need one) before they can come to the UK.

Once they are in the UK, the EEA family member/s can apply for a Residence Card which is valid for 5 years.  The family member/s can study, work and live in the UK with the EEA national without restrictions.  Thereafter,  the family member/s may be eligible for Permanent Residence in the UK.


To find out whether you qualify as a ‘family member’ of an EEA national or whether you are eligible to apply for a Family Permit, Residence Card or even Permanent Residence, get your free assessment now!