European/Swiss nationals


You can apply for a document to prove your right to live in the UK if you’re a citizen of an European Economic Area (EEA) country or Switzerland.

You’re usually eligible to apply for a:

– registration certificate if you’ve lived in the UK for less than 5 years

– permanent residence document if you’ve lived in the UK for 5 years (or earlier in some situations).

Please note that the Worker Registration Scheme closed on 30 April 2011.  Therefore, if you are a national of the Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Slovakia or Slovenia, you do not need to obtain permission before you can work in the UK.

Family members, including spouses, children and dependent family members, may also be eligible to apply to enter the UK, even if they themselves are non-EEA nationals.


To find out more, please read the section applicable to you and contact us for immediate advice and assistance.