Do you need to be TB tested?

The tuberculosis test is now a requirement that some Applicants must satisfy before applying for an Entry Clearance visa to remain in the UK for a period longer than 6 months.

The UKBA has issued a list of countries from where nationals must be tested.  Many of the countries outside of the European Union such as China and Russia are included on the list. The Applicants must attend a clinic specifically approved by the UK authorities in their country of origin.

The requirement also applies to children and pregnant women.  Children under the age of 11 have to attend the clinic with their parents/guardians.  Based on the answers provided to a medical questionnaire, the clinician will decide whether a chest x-ray screening will be required for the child.

However, there are some exemptions to the test including returning residents who have not been absent from the UK for more than 2 years, diplomats accredited to the UK, Applicants with the right to abode in the UK and finally those applying for an EEA family permit are not required to undergo the test.  The EEA family permit is initially issued for a period of 6 months which explains the exemption from the TB test.


If you are considering applying for a UK visa and have questions in regards to the requirements, please contact us on + 44 (0) 141 283 0190 or via email: info@elm-rose.com.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

six + seven =

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.