Tier 4


The Tier 4 (General) category is for adult students who want to enter or remain in the UK for their post-16 education.

If you are 16 or 17 years old and you want to study a course at or above National Qualification Framework level 3, you can apply under this category or under Tier 4 (Child).  You will need an approved education provider (known as a ‘Tier 4 sponsor’).  However, if you want to study English as a foreign language, you must apply as a Tier 4 (General) student.

The Tier 4 (Child) category is for children wanting to enter the UK to be educated between the ages of four and 17 years old.  Children between four and 15 years old must be educated at independent fee-paying schools.

Tier 4 (Child) students cannot study at publicly funded schools apart from publicly funded further education college which are able to charge for international students.

You cannot be a Tier 4 (Child) student if you have any children who are living with you or
for whom you are financially responsible.


Are you a current student in the UK looking to extend your visa?  Are you thinking of coming to the UK to study in one of the world’s renowned institutions?  To find out more and for your no-obligation quote, please contact us and get your free assessment now!