What is the Settlement Scheme?
If you are an EU citizen living in the UK, you and your family can continue living in the UK after December 2020 with settled or pre-settled status. You will not need to apply if you an Irish citizen or have Indefinite Leave to Remain.
The Scheme fully opens in March 2019 and deadline for applying will be 30th June 2021.
What does it mean for EU citizens?
– If EU citizens want to stay in the UK beyond December 2020, they and their close family members will need to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme
– EU citizens will then be eligible for: public services, such as healthcare and schools, public funds and pensions, British citizenship if meet requirements.
Who is eligible?
– EU citizen or non-EU family member
– Need to be resident in the UK by 31 December 2020. If resident for more than 5 years, eligible for settled status and if for less than 5 years, eligible for pre-settled status
– Cannot be a serious or persistent criminal or threat to national security.
What about family members?
– The Scheme covers all EU citizens living in the UK and their family members.
– Existing close family members not living in the UK by 31st December 2020 will be able to join their EU family member in the UK at any time in the future as long as the relationship still exists
– Children born or adopted after 31st December 2020 will also have their rights protected.
When to apply?
– The Scheme will be phased in later this year but will be fully open by end of March 2019. However, there is no rush – those who are resident here by 31st December 2020, will have until 30th June 2021 to make an application.
How to apply?
You can access the application online using a computer, tablet or smartphone.
What if I already have a Residence Permit/Card?
You will still need to switch into the Scheme, although it is still proving to be useful having this for travel, status proof and employment purposes. Also, it may be easier to evidence your residence in the UK when you do switch into the Scheme.
We are assisting many EU nationals and their family members. Please CONTACT US now for assistance.